SailNet Community - View Single Post - SW Florida Boat Choices/Advice
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 12-15-2002
JohnDrake

SW Florida Boat Choices/Advice

When searching for a boat with a shallow draft but cruising accomodations at a certain price point, you will find your choices quite limited. But there are some gems.

Jeff H has a great list, which is based on a lot of experience. I used to sail deep keel racers off New England but am now a convert to the K/CB design. As Duane mentioned, I have a Hood 38 that has provided me the best of all worlds.

A couple thoughts I had in reading this string. The Pearson 365 has a PHRF of 210. I think there is a great benefit to a boat that can provide you with speed, power and pointing ability. The P365 does not seem to do that. I think it is not only important in day sailing but in cruising, as you will meet a greater variety of conditions.

And there is the issue of cruising accomodations. This is something that needs to be explored on a personal basis. But generally, LWL, beam and displacement will be some indicator of the space down below.

Pearson did make a CB ver of the 36...a nice boat with a lot of accomodations for a 36 (I believe a large aft berth). It may be out of your range.

Given all your considerations, I think you might look more closely at the Tartan 37. Nice build quality and very good sailing qualities. They were built over a somewhat lengthy period of time and I believe that some may be coming down to your price range.

Other than that, I think the accomodations of the Catalina 34 and 36 cannot be beat in this price range. It is simply a question of the downside of their wing keels and their suitability for your desired cruising grounds.

Hope this helps.

John
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome