SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Generator question
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Again, just remember that the Honda is rated for 2000 Watts of resistive loads...which is only about 1000 Watts of inductive loads... most tools are inductive loads.
Most of my tools are 6 amp draws or less, so it's not a problem. I think even my "cabin" ShopVac (much more effective than those gutless hand vacuums everyone has!) draws only 6 amps.

Another use for the Honda is in the case of catastrophic failure of the boat's electrical system, but no actual hull damage: You can use (with filtering, I suppose) the Honda to power radios, lights and even radar for a time. It's more a form of "life support", but as long as the gas holds out and you can keep it dry on deck, it's possible within limits to keep your boat electrically "alive" until you can reach shore.

I also carry a 700 watt "power pack" with jumper cables. I've used it to run a hand sander for half an hour working on smoothing down glass work on a RIB before it got to 50%. Because it's just a 25 pound AGM battery in essence, I would choose this over the Honda if I needed to illuminate a sail with a hand spotlight or needed to charge hand held radios, etc.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook