SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding
Thread: Singlehanding
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I hate to be a real PIA but not maintaining a watch is a clear violation of international law for a damn good reason, safety of all at sea - how would you feel to find out while you were asleep at the helm you missed the single call of the s/v 10 miles from you as it went down? We all have a responsibility to be there for each other.

I single hand day trips, night sails etc.., but would never even contemplate making a passage without standing proper watches 24/7. Get your kicks on short trips, long trips deserve crew.

How the heck do ya'll get insurance coverage on a single handed passage?
Donít hold your breath waiting for me to hear your distress call. I donít maintain a radio watch. I usually donít have unlimited battery power and sometimes even no radio or engine on my trips.

I have full insurance along shore and in home port because the most likely problem I am going to have is being hit while on the mooring by a drunken powerboater. Offshore my insurance is proper preparation and due diligence. Nothing more and nothing less.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook