SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Generator vs Genset
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I always wonder how the danger(s) posed by gas gensets such as the Honda compare with that of propane which is almost ubiquitous to cruising sailboats. Regardless of one's use of a gas genset, gasoline is typically already aboard most boats for use in the outboard which leads me to believe the gasoline hazard posed specifically by gensets is moot. Certainly the availability and use of propane sniffers is comparable to that of CO detectors so availability of warning devices is also a moot issue.
Intuitively, I would think that propane causes far more accidents than gasoline and as both are commonly found aboard (gas for outboards and propane for cooking).
Do the statisitcs bear out the warnings against the use of gas gensets?

Paranthetically,I was parked immediately behind a boat using a Honda sitting on his transom last summer in Cuttyhunk and tried paying attention to it's use as I was considering buying one at the time. Not having heard it running all day , I vertured over by dinghy that night to ask only to hear it was in fact running - convinced me about it's quiet operation.

Last edited by k1vsk; 11-27-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook