SailNet Community - View Single Post - S2 9.2A
Thread: S2 9.2A
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007

francislee is on a distinguished road
this is a fine boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivaylo1971 View Post
I am thinking of buying an S2 9.2A, 1978. I would like to know if this kind of boat can be sailed accross the Atlantic. What I mean is, is this kind a boat strong enough, and is it good for single-handed offshore cruising. Thank you for your response.
First of all......yes there may be boats "better" suited to offshore cruising. The S2 is well built, with a better capsize and motion comfort rating than many boats other would offhandedly tell you ARE "better" suited.including all bayfields up to 32 ft, halberg rassey 34. and Island packet 32.......the S2 9.2A also has the same motion and capsize ratio as a Gozzard 31........

I have owned many boats and I work on them for a living .....have all marine certifications....ABYC , CMET, Raymarine etc.........I am currently in GermanyI bounce back and forth between here and Mallorca.....last year we refitted Enigma....the worlds 26th largest yacht and worked on Wally B AND hamilton 2 which both charter at 70,00 a week.

I know boats, and I have had the S2 9.2 all over the great lakes, through the rivers, Gulf of mexico, carribean all the way to Venezuela and back......also Mexico, and down to Panama...

No problems.......it is an excellent value as well............

As far as an Atlantic crossing......when I lived in Plymouth Englad I met a guy who had been on many oceans.....in a special canoe.........anybody hears of the 5300 mile crossing of the pacific......Kenichi Horie in a 19ft sloop in 1962....or Robert Manry's ATLANTIC crossing ina 13ft boat.....1965?

Also ......the 9.1 is not a "more pure" form of a 9.2A.....they are different boats all together.......
Good luck.....what ever you choose....just go and do it.........

Last edited by francislee; 11-28-2007 at 04:18 AM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook