SailNet Community - View Single Post - Contest 27 -- Opinions???
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2001

Squall2 is on a distinguished road
Contest 27 -- Opinions???

I owned a 1970 Contest 30 for about 6 years (1974-1980). It had an Atomic 4 auxilary which was OK for the time, but a diesel would have been better.

The boat sailed very well, was easy to handle and very solidly built. It had a cast iron ballast, but I never had any problem with it. The interior was beautiful African mahogoney, but rather tight by today''s "floating condo" standards. (We had 4 kids at the time so we lived "close".)

I never had any blister problems. I did upgrade the sheet and haliyard winches from the originals which I found to be too small.

I''d take a close look at the hatches and hatch combings if they are the same wooden ones that I had. They are (at least on my boat) mahagoney rather than teak and prone to dry rot if not kept varnished.

I had to replace the A-4 when the block cracked due to a raw water cooling system. There wasn''t much choice at the time in small diesels so I replaced with another A-4. The only problem that I ever had with the boat was a failure of the starboard upper shroud chain plate. The insurance company rated it an unavoidable failure and I got a new mast out of it.

I still think very fondly of that boat although we are very satisfied with our C&C 36.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook