I have a ’76 Balboa 27’. The boat is in great shape except for the electrical system. I have removed the whole rats nest of wiring and am starting over. It is a very simple system. Two 12V batteries with a OFF-1-2-BOTH switch, minimal electronics on board, old Lucas 15ACR alternator and a panel to control and fuse the accessories and lights. I am planning to do the following and would really appreciate any advice, as I am somewhat of a novice to all of this.
1. Replace the alternator with something more modern with an external voltage regulator. Any advice on something compatible hardware-wise with the old (1973) Lucas?
2. Replace the solenoid. The current is circa 1972.
3. Install a shore power plug in the cockpit simply to run a battery charger. I need to source the right charger as well. Is it a good plan to run everything off of the batteries while on the dock while simultaneously charging the batteries?
4. Replace all switches and fuses for accessories.
5. Replace the key switch (start and glow plug) with momentary switches to avoid using the key. The current key looks about ready to fail!
6. Provide the means to add a GPS/Radar at some point.
My goal here is to have a reliable system that won’t leave me stranded. Thanks in advance for the help.