SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising, voting & jury duty
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
I was a trial lawyer for 35 years, and never knew a judge who would require a person to return home from a vacation or extended trip for jury duty. Of course, I can't speak for every judge... Often, they'll just put your name back in the jury pool, to be called again later. Interestingly, however, I did see one judge who ran short of prospective jurors, and sent his bailiff out on the public sidewalk to bring pedestrians into the courtroom to become jurors. If you're on an extended trip, contact the judge as soon as you hear about the jury summons, explain your circumstances, and the judge will deal with it reasonably. After all, you're not a criminal.

I saw many, many people through the years who bitterly resented the idea of becoming jurors, for the reasons others have voiced, but I don't remember even one who wasn't enthusiastic about having had the experience afterwards.

Personally, I've always thought the courts were the best free show in town. Every trial is like a drama, with a complete story and a denouement. Unlike television, there are no commercials.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 11-30-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook