SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cabin heaters?? on small boats
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2002

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Cabin heaters?? on small boats

Depends on what you consider cold. I lived aboard my C22 in New England, year round with a Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater. I tried both the oil burner style and a propane burner. I liked the propane burner better but for short term heating, the oil burner worked just as well.

It''s a little bit of work to install the oil tank in an out of the way yet accessible place. I mounted mine in a settee locker. Lighting it up was a bit of a process, having to pump the tank with a bicycle pump and pre-heating the burner and all. Then was the roar the thing madeÖ

I wouldnít leave the boat untended while itís running. The patria burner can foul itself unexpectedly and require tending before the burner cools off. Iíve come home to finding the inside of my boat painted black with soot because this had happened. Iíd also recommend carrying a spare burner and/or a rebuild kit as the cleaning tip needs periodical replacement and the entire burner can even clog up.

The Force 10 will take the chill off but donít expect its 6000 BTUs to blast you out of the cabin. Itís vent cap mounts directly to the cabin top and stands only about 1 inch proud of the deck. It mounts to a bulkhead with 4 bolts and really needs no heat reflective backing. It uses only a 1-inch flue pipe, but donít mistake it for a hand rail!

http://www.force10.com/
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook