SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Suggestions for good liveaboard/Cruise boats?

15K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Tinawburgess 
#1 ·
Hi!
My husband and I are finally taking the step towards purchasing a boat for living aboard and cruising. We hope to find a boat in the next 6 months and start cruising in the next 2 years. We live in the Annapolis area now, so would like to find something that works on the Bay but can go offshore with us as well. Now that we are getting serious about this, the years of asking about which boat make is best, what we should look for, etc. are coming into play, but I would love any feedback from current liveaboards about what we should be searching for. We were thinking about starting out in the 34'' - 36'' range. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!!

#2 ·
My first suggestion is to tell us a little more about what yourself and what you have in mind. For example, are you and your husband experienced sailors? Where do you sail now? When you say ''cruise'' what do you mean? (i.e. some folks mean motoring down the intercoastal and jumping off to the islands, while others mean transoceanic, while still others spend thier lives cruising the Chesapeake.) Do you have a budget in mind? Are you willing to take on a fixer-upper? and so on.

In a general sense, the Chesapeake is a great place to live aboard and cruise. The winds are generally moderate, the bottom soft, and things are pretty well marked. The Chesapeake rewards reasonably fast and light boats with more sailing time (vs motoring) and a much greater choice of anchorages. While there are cruisers that work for the Chesapeake, as well as, offshore, most people on the Bay seem to elect to chose either boats that are optimal for the Chesapeake or else boats that are optomized for offshore and live with the compromises.

Jeff

#3 ·
Hello,
I was checking out sailnet and came across your artical. Anyway I happen to have 2 sailboats and can'' t keep up on both. So, if you'' re interested please E-Mail me. I am selling the smaller of the 2. It is a Clipper Marine 32. Additional info can be obtained at Bacon''s Sails on their board in the store. I was asking $3,200, but at this point am willing to take best offer. Once again please E-Mail me if intrested, my E-MAIL is
NASGW2000@aol.com
Thank You

#4 ·
From my gleenings:
AVERAGE BOAT SIZE 37''
MOST POPULAR KEEL SHOAL DRAFT
MOST REQUESTED MOTOR - DIESEL
PERCENTAGES 75 DOCK/25 SAILING
I bought a tank...a 37'' Irwin. She sails at 20 to 30 degrees and is slow, sort of, as its all relative to the owner. She has a lot of room, high freeboard, single handable sails, etc. Lots of room below for two or four in two separate cabins.

#5 ·
I saw your email and it caught my attention because my husband and I are also planning what you are planning. We are in the process of looking for a boat and our plan is to sail full time within three years. We live near Nashville, Tn. We sure would like to hear from you and maybe we can help each other in our quest for a boat.
Good luck and hope your dreams come true
Steve and Mary

#7 ·
There are lots of things to consider in your choice, like how much you want to spend, what type of conveniences you want and the like.

I have a Pearson 323 so I''ll admit my bias right up front. However, here are a couple of things I''d want in a boat for cruising:
- Diesel engine: Range and reliability. They''ll run under water as long as you can get air to it.
- Big water tanks
- On-board power generation: solar or wind with some power management.
- Well insulated ice box

Cutters are good for their sail flexibility in varying wind and sea conditions.

If I had to pick right now, I''d consider Island Packets and Pearsons. If I had caboodles of cash, a good used Swan.

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
My husband and I are also thinking very seriously about chucking it all and buying an Island Packet 350 for living aboard and coastal cruising in Florida, Bahamas, Dry Tortugas, Intracoastal, East Coast, Gulf Coast, etc.

We are open to other boats, but the Island Packet cult seems to love their boats.

Any thoughts or suggestions? There are two of us, we are experienced sailors (husband has been sailing since he was 7), and love the west coast of Florida.

Thanks.

#10 ·
My husband and I just took delivery on a 39 southerncross our plan is to outfit her in MD this winter/spring and sail the chesapeake next aug,sept&oct. then down the ICW we would like to spend next winter on the west coast of fla. what good marinas come to mind? we need to be fairly close to an airport.
heidi-peter
spartinaSC39@aol.com

#11 ·
Heidi ...

Check out Burnt Store Marina in Charlotte Harbor. It''s near Punta Gorda - north of Ft. Myers and south of Sarasota. We have chartered out of Burnt Store for years now - with Yachting Vacations. Their location is wonderful from a water standpoint - essentially 12 km from the Boca Grande inlet. You will be hard pressed to find a prettier sailing ground. Don''t miss anchoring in Pelican Bay, but watch your depth, as anything over about 4''6" will have trouble at low tide. It''s worth it, though, and Cayo Costa is one of the treasures.

From a land standpoint, Burnt Store leaves a lot to be desired. If you don''t have a car, the nearest large grocery store is about 8-10 miles away. Burnt Store is in a residential community, so there''s golf, a restaurant, laundry, showers, ship''s store, pump-out station, fuel, water, etc. If you''re looking to provision, you can probably find a better spot.

You would do well to pick up a copy of A Gunkholer''s Cruising Guide to Florida''s West Coast by Tom Lenfesty. He gives a lot of really wonderful information. Have fun!

#13 ·
My neighbor on the dock just lowered the price of his Brewer 45 It started out at $137
but when he listed it with a broker it went down. The contract time is up now and it has been reduced again to $79k I beleive this to be a great deal for someone looking for a strong confortable crusing boat. I am not a broker or anything but just thought I should pass this info along.
Bill
svdragonseeker@yahoo.com

#14 ·
Wife and I purchased a 1984 38'' Irwin CC for the same purpose you mentioned.
Sailed and docked in the Chesepeake last season. Got to know our boat. Will be there this season also to finish adding what we feel we need to go. Hope to retire and head down the ICW late Oct. 03 into the warm weather and beyond.
Contemplated a new boat 33'' but after comparing price for basic new, additional equip. and getting along in a smaller space then a house we opted for used and a bit larger. More bang for your buck. Prior and only owner took good care of her. Looked at a number of boats and as they say, "you''ll know it when you see it". And we did. No hesitation.
Two nice size berthing areas. Two complete heads. Access aft from the salon port & starboard sides below. Nice galley & salon. Large center cockpit. 50 hp engine in case with easy access. Two 30 gallon fuel tanks. Two 90 gallon water tanks. Two large ice boxes with one turned into a refridgerator. Also a lot of other items included.
Intend to add a windlass and inverter along with some homey type things.
We got more for our dollar then new. BUT also get some extra problems but nothing we can''t & are not dealing with.
IT''S FUN AND EXCITING. DON''T NEED SPEED IF WE ARE RETIRED.

Ray & Joanne
Dream Catcher

#18 ·
We ended our search with the purchase of a Tayana 42, ''81. We will sail her back across the gulf next week to rest in Texas. We then fix and get her ready to leave next Jan.
Good luck to all of you still looking. This has been a six year project, getting at least one child in college(fall ''01), selling the house(summer ''02), changing colleges(fall ''02), buying Parcae(winter ''03). So no more change in colleges, no more spending every weekend walking the docks, now scrubing, cleaning and lots of other grunt jobs plus a hugh grarge sale all before December. Wish us luck.
Jane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.