SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail Reefing
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Mainsail Reefing

I know this topic has been done to death (nearly), but I have one small question I'm hoping others here can assist with before I start drilling holes. I'm having to change our reefing set-up on account of our boom being only wide enough for a single cheek block (hey, 18' is a small boat!)

I've tried using two blocks in line (one for the outhaul, with one reefing block behind it) and finding that:
a) It looks stupid
b) The angle is too great to haul it in in a blow
c) I can only rig one reef at a time.

IMG_3269.JPG

So.. the answer seems to be a cheek block on either side of the boom.

Question: The boom is approx 10' long. I know most boats run their lines inside the boat, but if I use cheek blocks either side, the reefing lines will then run on the outside of the boom, unsupported for most of the way, to a cleat near the mast.

1. Is this the best way to get 2 reef lines on a small yacht? Is it okay in practice?
2. How important is it that the reef lines are free to run once the pennants get tied around the boom?

Thanks.