SailNet Community - View Single Post - Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad

Er Doug....Two of the races that we won last year we purposely chose to start down near the wrong end of a starting line on the unfavored tack but in clear air and able to cross on starboard the log jamb that started on the so-called favored end of the line. Sometimes you have to study the fleet and do something different.

The fact that there are a lot of poor racers in club racing can actually add to the fun. One of the things that I enjoy doing is going out with these poorer racers and coaching them around a race or two (as experienced sailors did for me when I was trying to learn). By improving the skills of these poorer racers, it becomes more fun to race against them, and also, it really helps the comradery of racing when you can help many of these sailors with thier racing skills.

To be frank, at least in the areas where I sail, club racing is really pretty healthy, with good close racing across a spectrum of skills levels, but with all due respect, I don''t think that the attitude reflected in your original post is especially helpful in altering the general state of club level racing, if you believe that the quality of club level racing is so poor.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook