SailNet Community - View Single Post - 12 volt problems...
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfloeter View Post
This sounds too much like I found on the first night of a North Channel trip last year. I was plugged into shore power with no appliances or lights on except the standby mode of the FM cassette deck. Around 2AM I awoke to the tell tale tones the radio outputs when the batteries go dead, yes I did this before but with previous batteries and other circumstances.

After checking the obvious circuits and narrowing it down to the cabin circuit I traced the wired down and found a very hot auto quality butt splice in the head. A fire would have been next as the fuse was not blowing and the resistance was huge. Before I found the cause I was watching the volt meter drop visibly whenever I turned the Cabin switch on, dropping one half volt in a couple of seconds. Needless to say, I pulled the butt splice off the wire and respliced it properly the next day.

So that's my tale and hopefully your solution might in the end be as simple.

Dietrich

Calliope Catalina 30
this is exactly why i harp on about limiting connections and keeping things as simple as possible. people worry about propane (another thread) and yet i would bet SD's right nut that far more boats have burned due to poor connections. if you paid less than $70.00 for your crimping tool, you're a disaster waiting to happen.
364 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

our life afloat:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook