SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bank Accounts and ATM Card access
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002

Cinque_Ports is on a distinguished road
Bank Accounts and ATM Card access

Hi, A new twist in my plans to sail off the edge of the world...my current bank, Wells Fargo were very assuring that my ATM card would work around the world...they lied...
What I have discovered sitting here in a quiet little village in Italy is that my ATM card does not work. After numerous phone calls to WF''s Customer Service Dept. they made the statement that their most common complaint is that there ATM cards do not work in France, Italy, or Spain. It seems that America uses a 6 digit PIN number while here in Italy they use a 4 digit PIN number. while the ATM machines see the card they do not recognize the longer PIN number. Now, I do not know how accurate that statement made by Wells Fargo is since the local bank manager said their bank uses a 5 digit PIN code. Either way, the dam thing doesn''t work! I''ve looked into setting up another account through one of the Internet Banks that says they cater to expatriots living overseas. However, I was hoping to get some opinions from some folks out there and pointers to a bank that does have an ATM system that actually work worlwide? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook