SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Black exterior teak

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
Is there a good way to get the black out?
I will be putting the tarp back over this weekend and I would like to get the black stain out somehow.

#2 ·
All the typical teak cleaners help. Oxalic acid is the main ingredient I believe. I read an artical about Teak and how, no matter what you do or use the oils in the teak and the finish turn black from the UV. good luck!

#4 ·
I have very good results from using a white plastic scrub pad (from the grocery store) and seawater and rubbing across the grain. I do this monthly and although it is a timely process, it works well. A friend uses a plant spray type pressure cannister with a bleach and water solution and lets that dry on the deck. Works well for him but I'm not happy about spraying chlorox around the boat. Good luck.

#6 ·
I use 2 parts water and 1 part bleach. I also buy the off brand bleachs for they are not as strong. I apply it with a foam brush.

#9 ·
The Black is mildew. Bleach works better and safer for gel coat than most teak cleaners. X14 a high power mildew remover painters professional cleaners use , worked wonders on my vessel. After a year of non use she had mildew all over decks, side benefit I discovered the teak handrails returned fresh milled color (never varnished) caution not sure but hatches started leaking, in rebedding them I discovered the 5200 sealant was unstuck from the aluminum and pealed off the fiberglass way easier .
If bleach damages gel coat then have I destroyed my fiberglass water tanks by adding bleach to kill the bacteria and taste in the tanks?

#10 ·
Of course, if you're boat is on salt water, the salt water will help kill the mildew... if you're on fresh water, other options will be necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.