SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson vs Whitby
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002

aphil138 is on a distinguished road
Pearson vs Whitby

Thanks for you reply.
Ive been sailing on Lake Ontario for the last 25 yrs, the last 10 on a Catalina 30. I am planning on retiring in the 5-6 years and would like to start cruising South.
I''ve narrowed my choices for the next boat down to at least a center cockpit, mostly for the large amount of living space and tankage you seem to get with that kind of design. Cutter rig, ketch rig maybe if the rest of the boat fit my needs. I guess I am not that picky yet. I know that there will be some compromises when it comes to shape of hull in terms of performance and windage etc.
I am not sure about the keel thing, although I know I will need something I can use in the islands. I will miss the manuverability of the fin like I have now, so maybe some kind of modified full keel may be the best compromise. I would like the option of doing some "offshore" work and have some level of comfort. Sailboats is always a compromise.
The amount of equipment a given boat comes with, although the more the better, is not so much of a consideration given that I would rather put my own in rather than be a slave to someone elses cob job. A sound boat that is constructed well is more of a desire.
Location.... well I guess that depends on how "good" a deal and how blinded I get when I fall in love with my next boat.
Any other opinions for boats are always welsome,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook