SailNet Community - View Single Post - Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2002

Bart Toby is on a distinguished road
Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad

This year I got back into club racing on a J-24 that I picked up. So that my better half could have fun racing as she has litterly no experiance in sailing.

First several races we went to the unfavored side to get away from the pack and not to place any undue stress on my crew or me.

Also to see how agressive the fleet sailed.

For many people boats cost a lot of money and should be treated with care at the dock and on the course. So when someone comes barging at me on a port tack, being bigger or smaller, experianced or not, right or wrong, I''m getting the H*** out of the way. to much damage can be done (crew & boat).

Fastest way to kill a good racing fleet is to let people knock boat around like a bunch of cowboys.

If this guy was good at sailing than we should be no concern of his!

However if he is just going out there to make an ass of himself than a the rules should be changed so that people like this are not allowed to race.

by the way I''ve sailed all of my life and done my fair share of racing. but I would not race with you in the fleet.

Bart
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook