SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Precautionary Note on Fischer Panda Generators
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
Yes I know this is an old thread. My last boat had a Fisher Panda.The current owner gave up and replaced it this Summer with a Mastervolt. Probably not a good coice as it is also a fast reving genset. She spent over three thousand dollars in two years on the FP and it still overheated. I currently have a mini 12 FP on my boat. Last year it overheated, did not automatically shut down, and warped the head. ~ 3000 dollars later and it still overheats when the load exceeds 40 amps. this is less than 50% load. Haver pickeled the heat exchanger, blown out all lines to r/o blockage, checked both water pumps, checked capacitors, frequency and voltage on the back end to r/o backend overload - all normal. I've had many coversations with FP service in Ft Lauderdale with no resolution of the problem.I'm about to spend 20k on a 9kw Northern Lights that I should have bought the first time. FP has redesigned the cooling system to cool the generator with coolant rather than fresh water but that doesn't seem to be my problem but indicates that they have had a cooling problem on the old design. Any comments on Northern Lights reliability?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook