SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Precautionary Note on Fischer Panda Generators
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
No, but back in the days of Usenet I heard enough bad things about FP to put me off permanently, even if I wanted a genset, which I don't.

It is simply easier for me to adjust to the fact that living aboard is going to involve some compromises regarding the availability of AC power, and to adjust my habits accordingly.

Twenty thousand dollars buys a lot of nights at even expensive slips, where you can grab 30-60 amps from shorepower and run that washer/dryer, the air conditioning and a disco ball, if you wish.

Having said that, I've done a fair bit of research into "off-grid" power generation, because the technologies used for anchored boats and houses in the woods are largely the same, and you might wish to check out WhisperTech's "WhisperGen" line of Stirling engine gensets. They have an intriguing "sell" and although not yet common, seem to have a good rep due to the inherently simple nature of their mechanical operation when compared to IC gensets.

http://www.whispertech.co.nz/main/dc-marine/

But if you've looking for 9 KW, you're in a different league.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook