SailNet Community - View Single Post - collision course - Tip
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
collision course - Tip

c172guy,

As to your question about the "stand on" vessel, I agree that it is intended so that the "give way" vessel can have some degree of confidence in you maintaining your present course and speed. I have had a number of circumstances where I was tacking up a narrow waterway in an engineless sailboat (to stay in adequately deep water), and had other boats approach from the opposite direction.

In general, I continued my necessary tacking manuevers during the approach of the other boats (let''s limit it to powerboats to keep it simple), but as we drew closer, I would try to ensure that I would not have to tack into the approaching boat''s path. I can recall times when I was faced with the choice of: maintaining speed which would force me to tack too close to the approaching boat, running aground, or slowing somewhat so I could remain on my current tack until after the other boat passed. I always chose the last option.

Technically, I failed to maintain both course and speed, but it seems like the best option. Any better ideas or comments?

Duane
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook