SailNet Community - View Single Post - collision course - Tip
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 01-03-2003
collision course - Tip

As to your question about the "stand on" vessel, I agree that it is intended so that the "give way" vessel can have some degree of confidence in you maintaining your present course and speed. I have had a number of circumstances where I was tacking up a narrow waterway in an engineless sailboat (to stay in adequately deep water), and had other boats approach from the opposite direction.

In general, I continued my necessary tacking manuevers during the approach of the other boats (let''s limit it to powerboats to keep it simple), but as we drew closer, I would try to ensure that I would not have to tack into the approaching boat''s path. I can recall times when I was faced with the choice of: maintaining speed which would force me to tack too close to the approaching boat, running aground, or slowing somewhat so I could remain on my current tack until after the other boat passed. I always chose the last option.

Technically, I failed to maintain both course and speed, but it seems like the best option. Any better ideas or comments?

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome