SailNet Community - View Single Post - accessing money in foreign ports
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
I travelled a lot (not only sailing). Practically all European countries (except Nordics) and more then 20 countries outside Europe.
I found it depends on the region, but Visa is generally OK. Sometimes I had to use Amex instead. Dines was least accepted. Sometimes none of the three worked, but my wife's Euro card worked.
To get cash I use my regular bank card (BA Maestro). Any cash machine with Maestro or Cirrus sign gives you cash - and the exchange rate is the one of my bank (good for me) and just 1% fee (only 0,42EUR in all Euro countries).
It works not only in Europe, but in Fiji, Australia, Caribbean islands, India, ...
Edit: I never use my bank card (check card) in any other transaction then ATM cash draw. TB have a good point - it is dangerous. Somehow I trust the ATMs after visual check if there is any add-on equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

finished cruising after two years.

Last edited by tomaz_423; 12-09-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook