SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard Running Problems
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007

Northbeach is on a distinguished road
I just bought a tune up kit from a Mr. Bill Kelly of “Mastertech” here is his web site http://www.maxrules.com
He has an extensive web site. I intend to rebuild my outboard this winter using his replacement parts, a maintenance manual I bought off of Craigslist and the use of an engine shop a friend of my owns. My Evenrude 8 hp is running fine but it has been several years since the last time it was apart and it won’t hurt to go through it again.

It will help if you add fuel stabilizer to your supply of fuel and don't use old gas. I have a 10-gallon tank and it last me all season as I only motor a few hundred yards out of the marina. Even so I try to start my outboard at least twice a month and let it get up to operating temperatures for 15 minutes or so.

The following preventative tips seem to work well for me. I use fuel stabilizer in my fuel supply tank. Exercise the engine regularly and when I shut it down I disconnect the gas line and run the carburetor dry to keep the fuel from “breaking down” over time in the carburetor’s jets, passageways and chambers.

I don’t work for Mastertech but like his web site and the way I was treated.

Respectfully,

Last edited by Northbeach; 12-10-2007 at 03:28 AM. Reason: word choice & sentance structure
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook