SailNet Community - View Single Post - Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003

dchew is on a distinguished road
Current State of Sailboat Racing is Pretty Bad

Okay. I thought I''d give everyone a week or so to take a swing at me. Some of you should be classified in the heavyweight division. Ouch!

Thanks for the responses, guys. You’re all right, based on the limited information I gave you to work with.

I remember my early years of dinghy racing asking and getting friendly advice from the better racers. I know all too well about helping others so they''ll give me a better fight and so I''ll have to sail better, too. Experience racers know the best part of the sailing game is NOT winning, but the drama of closely spaced boats.

Actually, I''ve been VERY good about offering to share advice. Have offered to hold a tuneup clinic for others in our one-design fleet and not one person responded. Before you imagine anything different, let me say that I''m a well liked, friendly guy in the fleet.

Offering unsolicited advice is not my style. So I try to offer advice indirectly. For example, I''ll ask some of the slower drivers if they''ve read any good sailing books. They''ll reply, "No." But they won’t ask if I can recommend any good books.

That''s what I mean about the "poor state of sailboat racing". Nobody jumps on the "tuneup clinic" offer. Nobody asks for advice. Nobody does any reading. Yet they consistently finish at the back of the fleet. How can you help others that won’t do a thing to improve? Would you think that racing is in good shape?

I will say I think dinghy racing has far more better drivers than found in keelboat fleets. Do you think so, too?

Thanks.

Douglas Chew
s/v Challenger
Berkeley, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook