SailNet Community - View Single Post - Your thoughts on Albergs and Islanders appreciated
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2003

dkz is on a distinguished road
Your thoughts on Albergs and Islanders appreciated

About Islanders--A very experienced sailor who I did a three month sail/class with in the Pacific thought the Islander 36 the perfect boat for me for an extended cruise. I had kind of given up the thought because of the fin keel and no overwhelming recommendations of it as an offshore boat, but the favorable remarks here are making me think again about it. There''s an Islander 36 website (search Google). It seems to be a big SF Bay boat--there might be a way to get out there and do some real research onboard some. Cruising World August 2002 (p.22) had a short report about a couple doing the Baha Haha in one and possibly moving across the Pacific. I''d like to track them down and see how it went. They liked the boat sailing from San Diego to Mexico. (There''s also an old Cruising
World "Classic Plastic" report on it--or was
it "Sailing" magazine?)

I''m in about the same boat as you, Juker, with an eye on Caribbean, CA, SA (I''ve heard Chile is a good place to cruise right now)--
about the same budget (that is, not quite enough) and about the same time frame. (I expect to be working on my Spanish in Argentina in May.) I know that thinking I have just about enough for, say, an Islander 36 means I don''t have enough, so I''ve been thinking about getting smaller, since I''ll mostly be sailing single-handed or with one crew. John Vigor''s Twenty Small Sailboats includes several Albergs that he likes (including the Alberg 30).

The guy I sailed with, by the way, was John Connolly of Modern Sailing Academy in Sausalito (hence the SF/Islander connection).
He does fun adventure sailing/instructional cruises around the world, which I can unfortunately no longer afford since I''m saving for a boat. I probably spent the price of a Pearson Triton sailing around Hawaii and French Polynesia with him for 3-4 months--but if I never get to cruise, it was still worth it.

If you make it before I do and want a $-contributing crew a few months a year, let
me know!

Good luck.

Dave.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook