SailNet Community - View Single Post - What about a Morgan OI?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2003

Valdare is on a distinguished road
What about a Morgan OI?

Jeff

I have to agree with you for a number of reasons. From what I''ve heard about the OI41 they are not a great sailing boat. I own a Morgan 384 and am very happy with it for cruising as well as it''s sailing. However had I bought this boat before my S2 7.9 I would never know how well the 384 really sails.
I had a Newport 28 before the S2. We learned allot but nothing compared to learning to sail the performance 7.9. My first years were very frustrating. With the S2 when you did something correct you could feel the acceleration, when you did something wrong it was like throwing the anchor out. I raced one design a little and was always the pickle boat or close to it. Didn''t think I had learned much until I raced in a couple of club races. Actual was competitive and won a few. A smaller boat, or a performance boat will teach you much faster than a boat such as the OI. I know if it had not been for my S2 I would not be able to sail my Morgan to its best advantage, even though I am still learning it''s characteristics.

Your second point is probably the best Safety. I could man handle my 6000 LB S2. I can not man handle my 18,000 LB. Morgan. Everything on the Morgan happen maybe a little slower than the S2 but with much greater force. I always compared my S2 to a sports car, fast but couldn''t do much damage if I did something wrong. My Morgan is a tank, comparatively speaking.....but does sail well.

Regards,

John _/) _/) _/)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook