SailNet Community - View Single Post - steering cables
Thread: steering cables
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbourBoy View Post
sailboy21 i'm no expert on sailboat maintenance. I'm still near the start of the learning curve ... but that photo kind of looks like the eyebolts that are in the quadrant. there is no obvious corrosion. the eyebolts look like stainless and look like they're in good shape but they are definitely seized. The quadrant is not bronze ... looks like cast aluminum (??)

I will try a penetrating oil, light tapping with hammer and chisel approach. and I'll take your advice on cleaning everything up before reassembling.

Thank you all ... much appreciated.
To clarify, make sure the eyebolts are welded at the eye, or forged, and not the common hardware store variety. Cheap eye bolts just bent like the one I posted have no place on a sailboat. Also, if you don't damage them during removal and want to re-use them, make sure they do not attract a magnet in anyway. Also, clean them bright and shiny, and inspect for cracks in the metal, esp. where they were in the quadrant. Don't take chances here. If in doubt take them to a welding shop and have them do a dye-penetrate test. Aluminum would explain the corrosion issue... If you go crazy with a blow torch DO NOT heat the aluminum. All aluminum quadrants I know of have been heat treated, re-heating may cause severe (around 50% ultimate tensile strength) and irraversable weakening. That said, wouldn't hurt to do a dye-penetrate test on the quadrant too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook