SailNet Community - View Single Post - Puncture Resistant Bike Tires
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Hey folks, thanks for all the great responses.

I have had spoke punctures, but that was because I wasn't inflating the tires enough and I have stopped getting those since I have become more careful with the tire gauge. I know those because they typically either puncture from the inside or puncture from both the inside all the way through the outside of the tube making two holes. I have a strip of rubber that goes over the spokes on the inside, and I really don't suffer these kinds of punctures anymore since I have become more careful. These punctures are no longer a concern, I can live with this.

The kind of punctures I am getting now are from road debris. If you have never lived on a gravel road let me tell you what it's like - you might think of these quiet little roads with squished down rocks and such, but in reality they come through and "fix" the roads a few times a year with a grader. Every time they do this the rocks get disturbed and redistributed, and the effect is that a lot of sharp rocks stand straight up like caltrops. Even in cars and trucks we country folk suffer a fair number of flat tires because of this, a few per year. On a bike it is even worse because the tires are not as thick as on a car.

Like I said originally, I get about 1 puncture per 50 miles that I ride, that's often one or sometimes even two flats during a day if I go on a long ride. It has just been a fact of life, and it's one that I am not very willing to live with anymore. I need some kind of a solution to this problem.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-12-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook