SailNet Community - View Single Post - alaskan voyage
Thread: alaskan voyage
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003

Priceless is on a distinguished road
alaskan voyage

For cruising in SE Alaska (and BC) bring 12" rubber boots, full suit of working rain gear, including Sou''wester, and put an anchor on your boat two sizes larger than usually recommended in the frequently published anchor size tables. Add to it a rode of no less than 250 ft (300 ft is better) and chain not less than one or two boat lengths.
I have lived in SE Alaska for thirty years and my boat is a 33'' pilothouse cutter of 17,000 lbs displacement (28'' LWL, 10 1/2'' beam). My bower is a 45 lb CQR on 35 fathoms of 5/16" chain and 150'' of 1/2" nylon 3-strand. I usually anchor with 4:1 scope if the weather is settled and/or the anchorage is perfectly sheltered (as many are in Southeast), and go to 5:1 or 6:1 if the wind comes up. Have not yet needed to go past the end of the chain to the nylon. This ground tackle on this boat in this area does not drag. At all.
My secondary anchor is a 22 lb Danforth on short chain (about a boat length) and 250'' of nylon. It is very rarely used.
Once the hook is down in a good anchorage the rest is a piece of cake, whether beachcombing, hiking, fishing, hunting, or cooking and reading. A diesel range is about de rigeur in Southeast, but after some experimenting with heaters I am convinced a small (not tiny) wood stove is best.
Probably more than you wanted to know, but there''s my bit.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook