SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

[Nesting Dinghy] Garage sail

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Valiente 
#1 ·
Some expressed interest in the Niccollslite NN-10 nesting dinghy I ordered made from Barry Niccolls in British Columbia.

http://www.niccollslite.net/page1.html

It arrived last week and now that I am recovering from a nasty head cold, I decided to put it together in the garage.

It is a relatively simple operation. The whole boat weighs under 100 lbs., and both ends can float by themselves. Four large screw-in fasteners do the trick, and the two pieces more or less "click" together under a fibreglass lip. I have a three-piece mast, and a main and jib, as well, but as it's taller at roughly 5 metres than my garage ceiling, I've left it packed until I go sailing.

As you can see in the pictures, it has a centreboard with sail controls mounted, bronze tholeplates, several small cleats and a nice kick-up rudder and sturdy tiller. I suspect I will sew bags so I can lash all these pieces into the nested boat.

It's easy for me to handle: in fact I attempted to walk it home using a hand truck (I don't own a car), but my cold was rotten so I ordered a taxi van and stuffed it in the back.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow! Pertty and nice.

Val,

Won't you be concerned about sailing that thing around? Why? Well, everyone will think you are a new sailor, etc. Why don't ya let me and the kids give her a whirl? Put a lil' experience on her (also called scratches and dings). That way, you will sail with more confidence!!

Should I PM you my address?

- CD

#4 ·
Very nice... can't wait to see photos of it sailing.

#8 ·
CD: I have a six-year-old. The scratches and dings will no doubt be applied by him. I already have the name of the gelcoat from the builder...a spare tube is on its way.

USR: No, it's not cheap, although I caught a break on the exchange rate. I don't have the time or the skill to build something like this: I'm strictly at the level of encapsulating marine ply, drill and fill, and putting new strakes on RIBs. But I can make what this cost in a good week, and it's a fairly unique product in my mind. If I'm wrong about it and a Portabote, a set of oars and a 3HP outboard being a viable alternative to a 10 foot RIB with a 9.9 4-stroke (the default cruiser's choice, it seems, but one my experiences have found wanting), than I suspect I can pick up an inflatable anywhere. What I can't pick up is a very compact, but fully functional, sailing dinghy for my kid, who will want as he gets older to get away to visit other kids on other boats, and to go sailing around lagoons and whatnot. I may modify this dinghy to that end.

Alex: Water holds no terrors for me.

Other people running boats IN the water...well, yeah, that can get pretty scary.

Please ask Fred what he thinks of the lines of this dinghy...if you visit next summer, he can take it out into Lake Ontario.

The wife wants to name the dinghy "Crimson Permanent Assurance"...yes, I married a woman who loves Monty Python humour...

#12 ·
Perhaps part mesh for easier drying.
Oh, yes, I was thinking along those lines. Fortunately, my club has a large proportion of dinghy sailors, and I can get ideas from those guys. A number of them, when not racing, use their dinghies as daysailers around the area and you can see them lashing beer and sandwiches into the bow...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.