SailNet Community - View Single Post - [Nesting Dinghy] Garage sail
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
CD: I have a six-year-old. The scratches and dings will no doubt be applied by him. I already have the name of the gelcoat from the builder...a spare tube is on its way.

USR: No, it's not cheap, although I caught a break on the exchange rate. I don't have the time or the skill to build something like this: I'm strictly at the level of encapsulating marine ply, drill and fill, and putting new strakes on RIBs. But I can make what this cost in a good week, and it's a fairly unique product in my mind. If I'm wrong about it and a Portabote, a set of oars and a 3HP outboard being a viable alternative to a 10 foot RIB with a 9.9 4-stroke (the default cruiser's choice, it seems, but one my experiences have found wanting), than I suspect I can pick up an inflatable anywhere. What I can't pick up is a very compact, but fully functional, sailing dinghy for my kid, who will want as he gets older to get away to visit other kids on other boats, and to go sailing around lagoons and whatnot. I may modify this dinghy to that end.

Alex: Water holds no terrors for me.

Other people running boats IN the water...well, yeah, that can get pretty scary.

Please ask Fred what he thinks of the lines of this dinghy...if you visit next summer, he can take it out into Lake Ontario.

The wife wants to name the dinghy "Crimson Permanent Assurance"...yes, I married a woman who loves Monty Python humour...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook