SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan vrs. C&C
Thread: Tartan vrs. C&C
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I have an older 1983 C&C 35 MKIII with a keel/centerboard. It is quick and can be raced and is also setup for cruising which is most of what we do. She performs well in light, medium and heavy winds. We have taken many trips from the Chesapeake on her to RI (three weeks) and Charleston ( weeks). She has a cabin top travelor which gives her a SMALL disavantage is some sheeting angles, but a huge safety advantage especially if you are blue water sailing. Haleakula is truly a vanishing breed of boat as she is both a cruiser and a racer. You will find today most are in one or the other category. The modern C&C like the 110 is more of a racer. I have sailed a number of them. She is quick, very little teak, set up for racing, lightweight and has the open transom which does not work well in a following sea out in deeper water. The manufacturing gelcoat on the newer models is not the same thickness as the older boats either. The Tratan I have also sailed on is the 3700 and the 4100. Beautiful boats with improvements in many ways over the older models, but being a traditionalist I still like the way the old C&Cs and Tartans were made,

You have to determine how you will use your boat. Speed does make a difference even if your are not racing. Its no fun being the last boat for raftups or losing 12-15 miles on someone else when passage making where you are sailing an average 12 hours. One knot difference in speed per hour equates to a losing whole sailing day in milage if you are taking a trip of one week. Cruising does not mean you have to be slow. Also look at the cockpit in may ways. A large expansive one is not always the best in passage making or rougher weather. Safety should play a large role in your choice. Those huge straight line galleys on the Bennetaus look great, but try and cook in one when with a 3 foot sea or a 15 degree heel. I would rather have one which is compact and surrounds me. I hope this gives you some food for thought. Boats can be trade offs. Find one which best suits what you will use it for and where you are planning to go with it. Think long term not just daily use. Do not settle for a "slow boat" even if you are not planning on racing. Settle on a safe strong well made quick one. That may mean looking back a few years.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook