SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan vrs. C&C
Thread: Tartan vrs. C&C
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyf View Post
I plan on sailing in the Pac. NW, Puget Sound San Juans. The C&C boat that I saw advertised was a 1999 C&C 110 36 ft.
This line of "C&C" boats are built by Fairport (?) marine, builders of the Tartan line as well. I believe they were done by Tartan's in-house designer Tim Jackett. They are quite different boats from the traditional Canadian C&Cs built into the late '80s.

Whether the Tartan/C&C woes go back as far as 1999 I'm not sure, but this design was really marketed as a racer/cruiser rather than a cruiser/racer and as such would be more similar to the 37+ mentioned above by speciald.

That doesn't mean that it won't be a decent cruiser for the PNW, but these boats were put together with racing in mind. Generally they seem to be getting decent reviews and the more recent editions have moved to a lot of carbon, including the rigs. (Don't think they'd gone that route yet in 99)

For less money you should be able to get a similar sized, well maintained and equipped older C&C that may suit your purposes better.

But they are nice looking boats - though the 110 was supplanted by the 115, so maybe there were issues with that model.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook