SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Lifejacket do you wear
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
I like the Spinlock harness as well, but I wonder if you couldn't get the same qualities in a mountaineer's climbing harness, which seems identical in construction and is manifestly strong enough. You could add the "accessories" as needed.

Secondly, just as there is a disconnect at times between the Canadian safety regs and certifications and the USCG ones, I find that in certain areas the USCG regulations (and the ABYC recommendations, in some cases) are behind those of organizations such as SOLAS. Canadian and U.S. regs are very similar, but they are bureaucratic in the sense that they require endorsements from both countries if they are expected to be considered "legitimately safe" in both countries.

Does everyone need SOLAS-grade gear? Probably not, but I find in what I've read and what I've heard from serious voyagers that the USCG standards are considered "minimums", whereas the SOLAS regs exceed these standards, sometimes by a wide margin. Lifevests, liferafts, and flares, for instance, would appear to be a few examples of where SOLAS is clearly the better standard.

The spinlock harness is WAY, and I mean WAY overpriced. Got a great harnes from REI for $35 on sale. Spinlock: $165 BTW, a climbing harness is 10x for comfortable than bosun's chair. As a matter of fact I have yet to be up long enough to get uncomfortable in it. But this thread was about PFD's so: don't use a climbing harness to keep you on the boat! nuff said
SOLAS (safety of life at sea) is more of a international commercial standard, no? I'm sticking with these:

just kidding.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook