SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis to Ocean City, MD
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I lived in Ocean City, NJ 18 years before moving here 5 years ago. Seaview Marina does not really take transients and does not know until the last minute what slips are available. It is a very un[rotected marina from every direction and subject to fierce winds and tidal changes in large storms. The inlet between Ocean City and Longport is also trecherous but navigatable, but not a great place to come in late in the afternoon with outgoing tide and onshore winds. The waves can be 15 ft in the inlet and washuing across the moving shoals, when it is only 3 feet in the ocean. Also there is no place to sail in that area but the ocean. At least with Cape May you have the Deleware Bay or the ocean. You can sail the Deleware Bay lee shore when the Ocean winds are kiccking at 20-30 knots in relative safety.

Having sailed the Jersey coast for many years I kept my boat in Toms River to sail in Barnegat Bay despite living in Ocean City. The only inkets which are not trecherous in NJ are Cape May, Atlantic City, And Manesquan. The other are fraught with issues. The worst of course being Barngat where a sailboat is subject to current in excess of 5 knots and huge waves in a confined stretch,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook