SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is fast worth it?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003

larsfis is on a distinguished road
Is fast worth it?

Help!!!

I am a long time beach cat racer who is ready to make the switch to the world of monohulls. I''m looking for a small (25''-29'')boat that can be sailed comfortably by 2 persons but which can accomodate guests for a day out on the water. Sailing grounds would be S. Florida coastal waters. On one hand I want comfort, and on the other I want performance and speed. I want to motor serenely up the intracoastal with a few friends one day, and the next, crew and I should be able to sheet in hard and enjoy the spray of the ocean.
Inquisitive as to the nature of speed in monohulls, my search started by reviewing the PHRF numbers. For a 26'' boat I''m seeing numbers more or less between 160 and 220. And so if I were in the bare bone racer, every mile sailed I would get a minute closer to my destination than the guy with a big heavy cruiser and all the amenities. I have to admit that does not seem awfully much faster. So where''s the trade off?
If I am not looking to race but would really enjoy performance sailing, where do I draw the line between racer and cruiser? Please give me your opinions on the boats I should be looking out for. My current search list is:

J-24
Olson 25
Kirby 25
Evelyn 26
Lindenberg 26
S2 7.9
SR 27
Mariah 27
Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!
W.P.B., FL.

P.S. As you well know, most of us Hobie guys prefer to sit on the beach with six-packs of Hamm''s rather than at the yacht club sipping top shelf martinis. Truth be told, when I say my budget here is $10k, you can bet it is preferably less.

P.S.S. Though I have yet to see one much less sail one, I am drawn to the Lindenberg 26. Does anyone have specific knowledge of this boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook