SailNet Community - View Single Post - What''s wrong with the MOB Poll?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003

billmac26 is on a distinguished road
What''''s wrong with the MOB Poll?

I''m kind of new to this game but, I don''t understand why it takes so long and is such an elaborate proceedure to go back. Last summer I dropped a floating winch handle overboard. I was by myself on a Mac 26d the wind was maybe 15. I was able to go around and around trying to pick it up with no problems. I can''t remember if the jib was up or not, but I just pretty much ignored the sails, I steered and they took care of themselves. Of coarse they weren''t trimmed right on all of the different courses I steered, but they kept me moving. I must have made 20 passes on the handle before it drifted into too shallow water to follow. I don''t understand why folks make it so complicated?

Could it be something like the old defensive driving courses that when you go into a skid, told you to "steer in the direction of the skid" or something like that which you could never remember, especially while you were sliding down the highway. The instinctive thing to do when you start to slide also happens to be the right thing and so the course only confused people and caused them to freeze up instead of reacting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook