SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone going to the Atlantic City show this weekend?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Anyone going to the Atlantic City show this weekend?

Just a quick personal review of the Atlantic City show this past weekend:

Not a big show for anyone except Hunter, Beneteau, Jeanneau, and Catalina, who had quite a few boats available. There was one boat each from the likes of Sabre, Tartan, Island Packet, C&C, and J-boats, plus a few from Dehler and Bavaria. Being indoors means you can''t inspect the rigs at all.

Probably worse than Annapolis, so many folks only wanted to see how big the "beds and windows" were. I started asking a question about masts and keels and the rep said it was nice to have someone care about something other than the size of the microwave.

I don''t want to start a flame war, but I must comment that the fit and finish of many of the lesser-priced models left me cold. There were too many instances (from the thru-hulls, to the joinery, to the deck hardware, etc. ) where it looked like amateurs just slapped it together. You would think they would take special care for boats that were going to be in a show. I realize certain models are built to a price point, but it still bothers me.

Much more enjoyable than the boats and the booths were the seminars. Throughout the day you could choose among 4-6 topics at any given time. We thoroughly enjoyed and benefitted from each one we attended. Diane and I split up and attended different seminars in the same time slot, then compared notes later.

A lot of the info presented can be found in book form somewhere, but when a particular statement is made, you can question the presenter right then and there. How many times do you read a book and wish you could ask the author "exactly what do you mean by that" or "how about in this situation"?

Other than those seminars, I doubt I would return to the AC show next year. Anyone else who attended care to comment?

Cheers, all.

Duane
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook