SailNet Community - View Single Post - alaskan voyage
Thread: alaskan voyage
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2003

Priceless is on a distinguished road
alaskan voyage

A couple of additions to my earlier message: my use of 4:1 scope is dependent upon an all chain rode, or very long chain, in depths of more than three fathoms. In shallower water not enough catenary would be provided by 4:1 scope and in those circumstances I go to 5:1 or 6:1.
I would also add to the list of gear the local pilot. Cruising guides are also helpful, but the pilot should be carried at a minimum, not to mention as many small scale charts as you can afford.
A tide book is also a must in this country. Tide ranges vary from six feet to twenty-four feet, depending on time of month and season. The average is about fourteen. When anchoring you must allow for the rise and fall of tide in your anchorage, or face the likelihood of either drifting about at high tide with your anchor hanging above the bottom, or lying on the beach at low tide. Scope calculations must be for high tide, and you must have enough room to swing in what will at low tide be a smaller anchorage on longer scope. SE Alaska tide books are available free in most local hardware and sporting goods stores. Some cover only the local region; some cover multiple regions.
Also a necessity, particulary on the trip up, is the tidal current tables.
Be careful, take nothing for granted, and have fun. Bring a crab pot.
Cheers, Frank
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook