SailNet Community - View Single Post - What''s wrong with the MOB Poll?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003

billmac26 is on a distinguished road
What''''s wrong with the MOB Poll?

Last year was my first season with my boat, and I''ll do some things differently this year. The boat came with a lifesling aboard, but I took it out because I figured if it was just tossed in the lazzurette you couldn''t get to it in time to be of any use. After considering the MOB question more I can see the problems the wife will have if she has to come back for me. I think I am going to leave the cockpit back cushions ashore this season and rig several throwable life preserver/cushions, and the lifesling to be attached to the rails with velcro.

I made her practice going back to an object a few times last year and she did pretty well the Mac handles easy compared to bluewater boats, her instructions were to throw cushions at me as quickly as possible, go back, throw the end of one of the halyards overboard, and put the ladder down. I didn''t think hard enough about her slowing down or stopping. With the lifesling out, I think I would have a pretty good chance of getting aboard. We are pond sailors, so going overboard is not quite as serious as the middle of the Atlantic, most often there is a shoreline a reasonable distance away. If the weather gets nasty, we go back to camp and sit around the fire rather than putting on raingear. Some sailors huh.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook