SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing and Flying
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I started flying gliders on my 16th birthday and have flown mainly gliders but also power (when I really need to get from "a" to "b"). I have raced gliders for many years and even been to the worlds. I started sailing before flying and find that both sports are highly related.

In both disciplines you have to understand the power, whims, danger and beauty of nature. The lesson is that you and your equipment are insignificant when compared to the forces arrayed before you. If you do not learn that lesson quickly you will, at best, not succeed and, at worst, pay with your life. I sometimes see parallels between power boaters and power pilots in that they seem to assume a larger, more powerful, engine is the solution to overcome or best the elements. Sailing and gliding both require understanding and what I refer to as symbiosis (although in reality "parasitism" is closer but doesn't sound quite as nice) with both the weather and the surroundings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook