SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stepping a mast
Thread: Stepping a mast
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
Just remember. Double, triples, and have someone else check every knot, shackle etc! I was scared to death watching my spar pop up off the step and seemingly float in mid air. Make sure who ever you have help is physically ready too.. and willing to smash their hands/fingers to save the mast! Pretty sure just about everyone on this form would rather have busted up fingers than a bent mast! Proper planing and foresight, engineering principles, and luck will bring you through this! I have seen it go the other way...but I won't curse you by telling you that story! Didn't catch that you were on the hard. Cradles/jackstands/trailers seem to make a boat feel uncomfortable and shaky when working on deck so be ready for that.
...all of which are EXACTLY the reasons to suck it up and pay somebody to do it who is insured and has done it before. Though you could always practice with someone else's boat first ("gee, sorry about that... Too bad about your car, too. Guess you should have parked it a little further away.")
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook