SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing and Flying
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
As an example of a typical vacation trip on that boat from my homeport to Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, we would need to cruise at a minimum of 23 kts to get up on plane and burn 30 gal/hr for 3 hours one way. With gas prices at 4.50/gal, that equates to $800.00 for a round trip.

Last time we made that trip in True Blue, round trip fuel usage cost us $90 . . . would have been zero if the wind hadn't quit while half way there.
TB,

That sounds similar to the experience of one of my siblings. With twin 454s, their round-trip fuel cost from Mass. South Shore to Cape/Islands is so steep now that they rarely go that far anymore. Which is kind of ironic, since my B-I-L says he can't be bothered with how long it takes to sail there. At least they'd get there! It used to be that the motor-boaters would retort: "Yeah, but have you priced a sail lately?" Hell, for the amount of money they spend on fuel nowadays I could have a new set of sails every season!

Our fuel cost for the entire year (Nov-Nov) was the highest it's ever been: 16.5 gallons, at around $58.00.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 12-20-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook