SailNet Community - View Single Post - Older Boats-How Long will they Last?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Question A boat can outlive the onwer

When I was younger I had worked for 2 different boat dealers. I seen some old fiberglass (Old for the time). Wood boats have had centuries (Plural) to prove themselves.

Fiberglass only has about a good century (OK, maybe not, it getting there).

There always the if, if this and if that. Heck, I can take a wood boat and with not care it be dead. Proper care it will live on.

What a person need to know is the reliability of the builder.

For example; a Herreshoff or Bruce Roberts designed boat; Fiberglass/Wood that not what matter.

It the Builder!

Many boats may be called by the name of the designer (The person who draw up the plans, like a house architect). I can buy Bruce Roberts plans today! I can build the boat! But, the bottom line ...... How good am I in doing this?

If, the builder try to cut costs and use Elmer's Wood Glue instead of Epoxy then his Herreshoff may not be a good idea.

So, to myself, it not if wood/fiberglass boats are good. I know some will be around after I am gone.

The question; "Is the builder still in business"? or if he dead/whatever; "Did he leave behind a legacy"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook