SailNet Community - View Single Post - Older Boats-How Long will they Last?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Smith View Post
What we call fiberglas actually gets stronger with age. Comparisons of aircraft metal fatigue with monocoque glass reinforced plastic failure is a stretch at best. I wouldn't worry about an old fiberglas boat breaking apart simply from age. A stoutly built boat from the '60's, and '70s will be sailing fine many years from now IF she's pretty enough to someone to be well cared for. I have one of Bill Shaw's Pearsons that we learned to sail on the past 12 years and she has no cracks or groans. She is sailed EVERY weekend 3 seasons in the ocean and at age 30 shows no signs of being "tired". When reaching at hull speed in 6' swells in 18 kts do I think of the hull breaking apart?
I'm not quite sure how you came up with this idea...but the glass fibers that provide fiberglass with most of its strength get weaker with age...and fatigue with flex and use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook