SailNet Community - View Single Post - finding the perfect dingy
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007

jbarros is on a distinguished road
finding the perfect dingy

Hello, My name is James and I was on this forum LONG ago, when I was the proud owner of a small sloop which slowly consumed my wallet, until we parted ways.

Since then I've been sailing occasionally with friends on their boats, and helping out some, but I am coming to a point where I would once again like to go to sea on my terms.

To this ends, I am looking for a small trailerable dingy where I can toss a cover on her and park her and not have her cost me while she sits. I'll be towing her with a Scion xB, so small boats only need apply.

I am looking at doing something which may be considered fool hearty (or downright stupid) which is to say, I would like to make a habit of sailing her from Ventura California out to the channel islands, fast and wet, and beach camping (with legal permits) on the islands when I can.

To this ends, she should be self bailing, and stable enough that I can use her in the channel without flipping her EVERY wave.

I would like to be able to take another person out with me from time to time, but I trust I will be single handing at least as often as I have crew. (no I will not try to go to the islands single handed without a buddy boat, and vhf, and flare gun, etc.)

Sailing skills wise, I'm in a horrible middle-ground. I'm an advanced enough sailor that I don't need a single sail boat like a laser, but certainly not advanced enough to be on a real race rig. I'm approaching 30 and in solid shape, so a dingy which requires a bit of athleticism is fine. I consider myself competent (as does the ASA according to my little stamps) to handle a keel boat, to pilot, to crew, whatever, but watching some dingy sailors down in Newport do "roll jibes" makes me question how smoothly I'd be able to do that at first.

Ad into the mix that I'm hoping to pick up a boat and trailer used for under $3,000 and I think I've set up quite the list of impossible requirements.

However, if you don't ask, you'll never know.

Thoughts? Suggestions? (ok, G rated suggestions ;-p )

Thanks

-- James

Last edited by jbarros; 12-24-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: clarification of the level of my stupidity
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook