SailNet Community - View Single Post - Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003

glenpoisson is on a distinguished road
Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Please keep them coming if you have any additional thoughts. I do appreciate the words of encouragement!!!

In reply to your comments:
-- The Triton site is great. I think it will be very helpful and at the very least, inspirational. It is always comforting to see that someone has gone before me and to know that my goal IS obtainable!
-- I did check boatsalvage.com. There were some in the low price range but very few in my geographical region. I am willing to go quite a distance to find a suitable boat but it doesn''t make financial sense to purchase a low priced fixer-upper and then pay a fortune in transport costs. I will check the site periodically though (maybe I''ll get lucky).
--Checking with marinas, and repair shops is a great idea too. Does anyone know if there is a resource that lists names, phone numbers, and addresses of marinas along the east coast??? or at least the New England area?
-- The reference to Wooden Boat... I''m assuming you mean the magazine. I''ll have to look for the freebie section. Free is definitely a good thing!!!
-- To be honest though, I''m kind of afraid of wooden boats. Don''t get me wrong. A well maintained wooden boat is a thing of beauty and has a spirit that boats of other material could never match. However, I don''t know if I''m handy enough to repair a wooden boat to live-aboard standards. Then there is the maintenance, too. I think I''d be tackling more than I''m ready (or able) to handle. I''m a very gung-ho type person but I know my limits.
-- To the question of, "what are you looking for?" Glass makes the most sense to me. I''ve worked with glass before and am fairly confident that I have the skills to execute repairs in it. I would definitely be willing to take on an aluminum or steel hull, if the boat fit my purposes. I don''t know how to weld but would love to learn!

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions and positive responses!

Regards,
Glen Poisson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook