SailNet Community - View Single Post - What''s needed on 1st boat?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003

jklewissf is on a distinguished road
What''''s needed on 1st boat?

I have always equipped the galley with stuff from target. It is basically the same cooking gear you can pay a lot for at west marine.

One of the most useful ideas I ever picked up was the storage of most types of galley stuff in plastic dish pans.. Get the rectangular ones and choose sizes that fit in your lockers. Use one for pots and pans, one for dishes, one for cooking utensils, one for spices and other raw materials...You can use the same kinds of dish pans for stacking in deep lockers with canned food and other packaged stuff. It is much easier to sort through a locker if you can remove major groups of stuff in one plastic dishpan. Its also nice to be able to take the whole shooting match home and run it through the diswasher once in a while.

The caution mentioned in an earlier message about roaches eating the glue on boxes is something to pay attention to.... I grew up in Florida and one night the roaches in the garage ate the tempra paint off my social studies poster...That was a much more creative excuse that "the dog ate my homework"

The cautioniary remarks about glass are worth noting to, but plastic containers are not effective vapor barriers...water sensitive things should be stored in glass with tight fitting metal lids. Photographic film is a prime example.

Dont take any pots and pans that are not teflon coated...This not only reduces the work at cleanup time, it reduces water consumption as well.

After 30 plus years of boating Im a big fan of buying cheap teflon coated pots and pans and replacing them at the first sign of the teflon wearing off.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook