SailNet Community - View Single Post - Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2003

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Project Boats -- Where Do You Find Them?

Since you''re going to be in Biddeford, you''re in about the right place to pull it off. Go trolling in your spare time. Start in Newburyport, MA, about an hour south of you. Familiarize yourself with the yards. Try Great Bay Marina in Newington, NH. Dion''s in Kittery sometimes has stuff, but tiny yard. Work your way up the coast looking in backyards and along roadsides. I looked at dozens of boats from Portsmouth to Hancock, Maine. There''s a ton of little yards between you and Bar Harbor. I found my boat in SW Harbor, ME. It took me a couple of years before I had the guts to try to get the guy to seller finance it, which he did, with $5000 down. DON''T forget you have to pay Maine Use tax at 5% or so on the purchase, even on an old used hulk. There''s yard after yard north of you, many with what you''re looking for that''s been sitting there for years. Instead of going full blown restoration, educate yourself YOURSELF. With all due respect to others of differing taste and opinion, some of the ''facts'' that seem to come from these discussions are mere opinion, often taken too seriously. There''s dozens of Pearsons, Bristols, Cheoy Lees, etc. up and down the coast of Maine. If you know what you''re up against with re: fibreglass, deck problems, hardware, rigging and propulsion, there''s DOZENS of boats that''ll work GREAT for liveaboard/cruising the coast of Maine. I believe there''s also winter liveaboards at Spring Point Marina in S. Portland. I lived on my Bristol 35 for awhile on Peaks Island in Casco Bay. Of course, it''s not a Farr 38, but it was seller financed, goes to weather well, has a hull speed of 6.53 kn and has suited my purposes admirably. It isn''t what I''d have bought had I had extensive resources, but it''s what I bought to take the family sailing and I''m glad I did.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook