After a little experimentation, I worked out the splicing process adequately enough. I wove the strands thru each link for about a foot and then turned and wove back thru the links to the chain end. Upon reaching the rope, I put in a long splice with about 7 tucks and finished off with the appropriate whipping. On my experimental piece, I tested it to failure with a 4 ton come-a-long between two trees. The splice held very well and the ulitmate failure was in the rope, not the splice. This type splice probably doesn''t make a stronger splice but it should reduce chafe as the load is spread out over several links instead of just one.