SailNet Community - View Single Post - Asymmetrical spinnakers
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
asym

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegingras View Post
Well, Iíve come to realize that my speed has to be increased, and itís apparent to me that the Asymmetrical spinnaker can add the speed and allow for continued single handing, if not easy direction to myriad landlubber crews.
Hello,

My last boat, a Newport 28, came with a standard spinnaker and an asym chute as well. I never used standard spinnaker but I did learn to use (and love) the asymmetic. It was in a sock and was very easy to set, trim, jibe, and douse.

I don't know if the chute will necessarily give you more speed. For me, I found that the asym would allow me to sail when before I would have motored. If you are out for just fun, the chute will give you more speed. But if you are headed somewhere, the chute may make the difference between motoring at 5-6 kts and sailing at 5-6 kts.

If you plan on flying it singlehanded (either REALLY singlehanded or just with an inexperienced crew) make sure you have a real good autopilot. If the AP can't handle the boat, you will have a hard time with the chute.

When my budget allows, I plan on buying an asymmetric spinnaker in sock for my current boat.

Good luck,
Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook